There is always an abundance of ground venison this time of year. Our ground meat is mainly from the ribs and neck. I have found it’s ok to use it in any beef recipe. A lot of people look for recipes specifically for venison to get rid of the gamey taste. We don’t have a problem with our meat tasting gamey. My husband guts his deer in the woods, hangs , skins, and quarters them as soon as he gets home. The meat is then packed in ice and worked up over the next week. Just drain the water as your ice melts and replenish with more ice. My uncle gave us meat that he had done at a butcher once. The ground meat was very bloody, and the steaks were bloody and still on the bone. We couldn’t eat either one. It all has to do with how you care for your meat.
I wanted to find a meatball recipe that everyone loves because we like BBQ meatballs along with our Christmas Eve snacks. This one was a hit. We tried it last week with a jar of our homemade BBQ sauce and last night in our spaghetti. I have to say my son hates spaghetti but discovered he loves spaghetti and meatballs!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 4 teaspoons minced sweet onions(I used 1 tsp onion powder)
- 1 teaspoon crushed oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl beat the egg.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend together with your hands.
- Roll the mixture into 1 1/2″ balls with your hands and place on non-stick cookie sheet so that they are not touching.
- Cook in pre-heated oven for 10 minutes at 450 degrees.
- Turn meatballs over half way through cooking.
- The meatballs will not be fully cooked at this point.
- Add to your favorite sauce and simmer for 1 hour.
- Serve over pasta.
Fast, easy, and very tasty!